Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Favorites of the Senses


It's snowing softly outside & this seems like the perfect time to add this:


An enlightening past time is to make a list of favorite things that impact the senses. Not only does it provide a challenging exercise for the mind & memory, but it sharpens our appreciation of these golden moments in time.


For example, one person's list of ten favorite sounds: a distant train whistle; a mother talking to her new baby; the scrunch of leaves on a bright autumn day; sea gulls crying; a hound baying in the woods at night; the absolute silence of a mountain lake at sunset; a crackling fire on a bitter day; a stadium crowd singing the national anthem; the screech of an airplane's tires as they touch down; his wife's voice at morning.


Try the exercise for favorite sounds, smells or sights. You may learn something about yourself.


~ Frank W. Mann, Jr. ~



Okay, here it goes:



Favorite Sights of Mine:


~ the beach & ocean


~ my children smiling (any child smiling)


~ watching cats, dogs, squirrels, birds, chipmunks, deer play


~ colors


~ falling snow


~ little babies sleeping


~ flamingo (I can't help it, they make me laugh)


~ crackling fires


~ lighted Christmas tree in the dark


~ horses grazing


~ flowers



Favorite Sounds:


~ my children laughing


~ my children calling "maa..mee..."


~ kittens mewing


~ saxophone


~ ocean waves


~ seagulls


~ fog horns


~ boats driving on the lake


~ quacking ducks


~ crackling fires


~ dry autumn leaves that go crunch


~ drums in a parade


~ quiet



Favorite Smells:


~ freshly washed babies


~ melting butter (reminds me of my grandmother)


~ cookies baking


~ peaches


~ strawberries


~ My mother's perfume


~ old books


~ freshly cut wood


~ fireplaces


~ old houses


~ summer mornings just before the temperature starts to rise


~ autumn leaves


~ my grandfather's pipe



Favorite Things to Feel:


~ my warm bed


~ my soft feather quilt


~ newborn baby's skin


~ cat's fur


~ fake fur


~ the sensation after eating fresh garlic


~ a hug


~ incredibly soft cotton from being worn & washed so many times


~ softness of a rose petal


~ the warmth from holding hands




Favorite Tastes:


~ Haagen Daz ice cream


~ chocolate


~ tea (hot or cold)


~ frozen drinks with the little umbrellas


~ slurpees


~ peaches & watermelon & strawberries


~ champagne


~ my mother's fruit salad


~ Carvel ice cream


~ fresh bread with butter


~ grilled steak





5 comments:

  1. Wow, 10 of each ..... I had never seen this style. I like it, but would have to think awhile on this one! At my Home Page I have ...My Favorites: gentle rain storms; walking along the beach, waves washing over my feet, gulls flying over head, a gentle breeze blowing my hair, the smell of salt water; Walking in a deep forest with tall older trees making it like a room, sun light filtering down, birds singing, the ground at my feet like a carpet. Now I will go think:)
    Ann:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful selections!
    May your senses be greeted by all in the coming days! Marc :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This takes much thought but your number one sight i look at from my bedroom and lounge every day.I face the ocean and beach.Yes it's good.Personally mine would be a beautiful garden which i have laft behind.Very good entry I will study this well.take care god bless.
    Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh......You have indeed given me something to contemplate. I think I'm gonna delight in discovering these. Promise I'll get back to you with the list. (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, I like your favorites!  I could have written those lists.
    Hugs,  Kathy

    ReplyDelete